We got some pretty major stuff accomplished since the last blog post, all of it done during
- Started an orchard. 16 fruit trees in all- including apples, plums, cherries, pears, and a peach. I think one or two didn’t survive, but at $15 per tree at our neighboring Amish greenhouse, it’s not a significant loss in investment.
- Started a blueberry patch. We harvested a total of 5 (give or take one or two)blueberries… but I’ve got a good feeling about next year 🙂
- Planted hazelnut bushes.
- Built and planted a grape arbor.
- Enclosed the whole property with a permanent woven wire field fence, including redoing some stretches that were pretty rough (because I didn’t do them good enough the first time)
- Sold the goats. Wow. This was a big deal… our first animal, Martha, was included in this. A very emotional decision, but one that we think contributes toward the long term health and success of Liederstedt. As much as we loved the goats… quite frankly life is MUCH easier without them.
- Added two Highland cows!!! Another big deal. Help from an experienced farmer in terms of advice and infrastucture/transportation was/is priceless.
- Had our first litter of piglets! A learning experience, as some of them got smushed by mama pig, and one got picked off by an eagle (we think)… but we are raising up 2 of them and they are doing great 🙂
- Got a couple of beautiful Great Pyrenees dogs. We feel very secure for ourselves and our poultry.
- Were blessed by the unexplained arrival of 4 miracle turkeys.
Life brakes for no one.